Lets get it under control
The first question we need to ask: What do we need in revenue to provide adequate services?
This will be the guiding question in a Nicholls administration. All too often governments approach budgeting with the question of how do we spend all this revenue? I will move away from this practice of the past and implement a transparent and responsible budgeting process that aims to reign in taxes and spending.
Let's look at the reality:
- Taxes have risen at 3X the rate of inflation since 2013.
- On a per capita basis we are doing much worse that neighbouring towns when it comes to taxation.
- The town administration spending is out of line.
My action plan will aim to
- Reign in expenses
- Identify areas of low hanging fruit for potential cuts. e.g General Administration, Procurement policy in Parks and Rec.
- Partner with Regional Associations/MRC/CLD and Federal Government for assistance/support in targeted areas.
- Lower taxes by 2% over a four year period
- Transform pre-budgeting process by taking adequate time (at least 3 months) to evaluate what the actual operating costs of the town are.
- When evaluation rolls increase, the mil rate should be adjusted downward to reflect the change in revenues.